Thursday 6 August 2009

Review / Opinion / Misc :Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me

Blindfolded, I entered into the Dreamscape, an alien room where I found myself at the mercy of people I had never met. Terrifying? Not one bit... I was invigorated

My senses sharpened, my curiosity grew and I could not help but follow bright lights and the clicking fingers of the actors around me.

When asked about love and memories I felt no choice but to lay myself bare, spilling all to a room, to a person whose silly french accent transported me to decadent Parisian soirees. He led me by the hand, and placed me in the palm of another blindfoldee.

Without eyes to judge or be judged, my insecurities vanished. We found ourselves exploring each others hands, my rough slightly sweaty masculine palm mutually caressed her delicate feminine fingers, and as the music swelled we had no choice but to dance.

As our body's closed together, a strange sensation hit me. Not knowing anything about this women with her head on my chest, not knowing what she looked like and not knowing who she was - I had fallen in love. And for those two minutes, where we swayed together, hooked in each others imaginations, I was utterly and completely in love.

Is it worth seeing the beautiful things of this world, when they make us so insecure?

For a time now, I have felt that eyesight is the strongest sense, especially in theatre, where we specifically rely on it. However, it limits us - when we see things they become real, and when they are real they are rarely magical - and isn't that what theatre should be - magical?

We judge through eyes - sight is a decisive tool, but when judging how entertaining
a piece is (for we are all critics) we are limiting our own capabilities of being entertained.

Take theatre off the stages - return it to the mind - let us implode it with our fantasies!

Remove the eyes from theatre - Viva l'Squat!

(Inspired by Belt Up theatre, who led the Dreamscape and created the space which is the Squat)

No comments:

Post a Comment